Friday, August 13, 2010

Calling all Bikers!

And not motorcyclists, I want real bikers. The ones that use their feet (and some fancy machinery) to get them from place to place. Preferably commuting sorts, though anyone with experience is free to pitch in. Or those people with strong opinions, they're okay too. However, if you have no experience, have no strong opinions, and are easily cowed by words...DO NOT COMMENT! Or go ahead and comment, really not to worried about it.

Anyhoo, here's the deal. Right now I ride 2.5mi to work, and sometimes 2.5mi back (lately it's been in the 100s so my wife has been giving me the truck on our lunchbreaks).

A problem? I ride a well used mountain bike on pavement. From my understanding I couldn't be much less efficient, unless I got a trick bike. Either way it's not that big of a deal, only 2.5mi. However, rather soon (in Dec) there is a decent chance I'll be living further away, at which point I'd want a real bike.

Also, I kinda want something I can carry stuff on. Like, grocery runs and such. And I don't think I've ever seen a hookup for one of those back things that you strap stuff to for a mountain bike.

And now to the point: Does anyone (I'm looking at you Dax) have advice for what to get? Or personal experience that says street bikes aren't really that much better on streets than mountain bikes (I would find that hilarious)?

Any other general bike commuting advice would be appreciated as well. Oh, and right now I use a $10 walmart satchel to carry stuff to/from work, so I'm open for suggestions for that too.

Adios!
~Joe/Ish

P.S. And did you notice what I did with the post?

3 comments:

Ely said...

Hey Ish what I did was google 'commuter bike' and up pipped a whole list of websites and stuff. but basically what your looking for is a comfortable bike with fatter tires. :)

Rusty said...

1. What kind of terrain are you riding on? If you have any dirt/gravel/rough asphalt paths in your commute, then stick with the mountain bike.

2. I don't know if you're leaning toward comfort bikes or road bikes, but for daily commuting, on anything other than smooth asphalt, road bikes will take their toll on your body with the unforgivingly stiff frame.

3. Panniers. Get you some. Lunch in one side, clothes in the other. Shoes either in the backpack (camel back is preferred) or left at work.

4. Shower. Hopefully your work has one that you can use; if not, look into a local gym, Y, or prepare for some washcloth action in the bathroom. 2.5 miles is cake; upping your before work miles will break a sweat.

That's enough to get you started; email me if you want more particulars or want to hear about commuting in -16 degree F weather.

Rusty (Dax <- I'm trying to rid myself of this online persona).

joe said...

1. Mostly smoother asphalt. A couple of places of rough asphalt, but mostly smooth. No dirt except when I get scared of cars and get 2in away from the curb (trying to break that habit).

2. I guess I'm leaning more towards comfort. I want the usability and speed of a road bike, but I don't wanna be hunched over myself wearing a leotard on the way to work. So far I've been thinking something along the lines of the Kona Smoke ( http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=smoke ).

3. As soon as I have a bike I can put panniers on I plan on it.

4. Sadly my work is shower free. But I get here at least 1hr before the next person, so plenty of time for washcloth action.

5. Last time Texas had -16 degree weather was back when the earth was "formless and void". If then.

Also, I don't have your email! (Or I don't remember it). sonofwau@NOT_THE_SPAM_gmail.com