Monday, November 3, 2008

Movies? Books?

     Okay, so I was updating my myspace profile today and it got me to thinking... What do I look for in movies and books? Out of all the possible things to read about and watch, what draws me?

     The short answer? Epic ones. Movies where a few stand against endless to save many, or just one. I also adore stories of redemption. Where someone who did great wrong comes back and saves the day. 

     The best example I can give would come from the second book of a long series that would take to long to explain, so I'll give the second best one from Lord of the Rings. It's where Boromir tries to steal the Ring from Frodo, Frodo gets away, and then Boromir goes to save Merry and Pip. Here's a quick excerpt:

     "Then Boromir had come leaping through the trees. He had made them fight. He slew many of them and the rest fled. But they had not gone far on the way back when they were attacked again, by a hundred Orcs at least, some of them very large, and they shot a rain of arrows: always at Boromir. Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fiercely than ever. Pippin did not remember much more. His last memory was of Boromir leaning against a tree, plucking out an arrow; then darkness fell suddenly."

    The other major aspect I really enjoy is love.  Now love is a tricky aspect, I don't just mean sappy girl falls for loser boy and everyone ends up happy after a series of completely avoidable misunderstandings. I can enjoy (or at least sit through) those easily enough, but the ones I adore are stories of when two people are forced to marry, either via someone actually forcing them or in order to save something (someone's life or prevent a war), and then end up loving each other. 

     For example a princess marrying the general who kidnapped her in order to prevent a war that would have decimated her country, and then the general loving her enough to go through great lengths to protect that country even when he didn't have to.

     The point of this post? Not much, except maybe to get some titles of good books for me to look at next.

~joe(ishvi)

p.s. Also, I really, really hate love stories that go into explicit details of sex and junk like that.

p.p.s. I also enjoy funny movies that aren't retarded. Almost everything involving Will Ferrill is retarded.

p.p.p.s. Also tell me what ya'll enjoy reading/watching.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Top 3 Books:
1. "The Song of Ice & Fire" series by George R. R. Martin
2. The Novels of "The Change" by S. M. Stirling
3. "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan

The ASOIAF series is just plain fantastic... the novels of "The Change" (start with the first trilogy) are excellent if you are a fan of "alternate history" and time travel --- like I am --- and, of course, there's "The Wheel of Time" which everybody has read at least once (or 15 times).

joe said...

Heehee, the Wheel of Time was actually the series I was referring to. In the 2nd book where Ingtar buys time for the others... I might have read the series a few times

Budgi said...

Such an important topic I HAD to make a blogger id to answer!

Doodle's top 3 are, of course, without par. However, I would highly recommend the fantasy books by David Gemmell.

For a truly epic read try "Druss the Legend". His first book, he wrote it when he had been diagnosed with cancer and it actually brings a lump to the throat and a tear to the eye. The main character, Druss, is truly one of the best fictional characters I have ever encountered.

After that, try "Waylander". In a different vein but covers redemption in-depth and is also extremely well characterised.

In fact, after those two, read more Gemmell. All of his novels (and characters) have that hard to find, [EPIC] quality.

I would also recommend the Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy from Elizabeth Moon. A slightly more mundane setting but with an excellent story that includes epic-ness, redemption and love (without the icky bits).

Also, it might be worth checking out the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Personally, I find it a bit much in the schmaltz department but I know other people who love it.

Good reading!

Budgi