Friday, November 21, 2008

Fun times

Okay, gonna have to hand out some more information for this blog to make tons of sense.

So, everyone knows I've been looking for an internship right? Preferably a paying one with awesome hours. Well not living in a big town it makes it somewhat hard to find a internship, much less one that pays. And you can just forget them working with your school schedule.

But sometime last week (maybe the week before) I was chatting up the lab instructor at MCC and lo and behold she knew just the thing.

One of her former students works at a local company that makes programs for insurance companies and is constantly bothering her to go work there. This company had hired her as an intern, paid her, and even paid her for time spent in class. And continues to pay her to take time off work and go to classes!

As I have worked with her (my lab instructor) before she said she'd ask her friend and find out of they were needing interns. So she emailed her friend and we waited. A few days later she emails back and says that they don't usually post spots for interns, people just apply and are accepted/rejected, and if hired space is made.

She says to go ahead and e-mail her something telling her about me. Not necessarily what all languages I know, but more of a general outline of where I've been and where I'm going sort of thing. Mainly they wanted to know if I'd be consistent or leave at the drop of a hat.

So I put together a thing hoping it makes me look cool and uber without sounding proud and moronic. This is not something I do particularly well, I usually talk myself up to being godlike or make myself sound like scum of the earth that no one would ever want to hire.

E-mailed that to my friend Tuesday, which she e-mailed on to her friend on Wednesday (I still hate how that word is spelled), and I settled down to wait. After all, who honestly looks at hiring people right before year end taxes?

Anyways, found out today that it got sent on up the hierarchy for further inspection! While I realize this doesn't mean I'm hired or accepted or even smell nice, it does mean important people are looking at my name. Which is sometimes a good thing.

Yay for passing the first gauntlet!

~joe

No comments: